Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Polling Eccentricities

I guess it's the day for voting and therefore I shall add my two cents ('cause that's pretty much all I have). 1.) Why is the oldest volunteer always the one in charge of finding your name in the big book with pint size print? Now I'm not really an ageist and I feel that people should be allow to do any and all jobs they're capable of, but on Voting day, time is of the essence because if you're a voter you're either sneaking out of work to place your vote or fitting voting inbetween picking up the kids from school and completing that big presentation for your boss. You don't have the time, let alone the patience, to wait in a mile long line that rival's Ross hoping that the lovely grandma with bifocals will flip through the voter registration pages faster than a snail. Your last name starts with a "Y", but she's still searching through the "M" names.

Plus, there are always ten times more volunteers than need be at the polling places for "Grandma" to be the only one allowed to look through the big book. Wouldn't it be easier to have multiple books, and therefore multiple people checking you in so that you could move through the line faster? They could compare the books at the end of the day to see if there were any discrepancies, like double voting, but if the people stationed at the electronic box were actually paying attention to the people submitting their ballots, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm just giving suggestions.

The second thing I wanted to comment on is that while my sister Robby was working the poll's in Santa Barbara, she called to tell me that her day was "made and subsequently ruined by seeing a really cute guy" come to her table and then tell her his name was....wait for it... this is totally true... "Fire Penguin Disco Panda". In all seriousness. He was about 20 and had tattoos of "Happy Feet" and "Saturday Night Fever" all over. At first I thought it was a miracle he'd made it through High School, let alone elementary school, because with a name like that, your head had to have been cleaning some toilets, but yep, he was alive and kicking. Then Robby tells me he named himself, after he turned 18 of course. I'm just wondering that if when he hits 30, is he gonna look in the mirror and ask himself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

As a side note in case Mr. Panda should ever read this blog (which I highly doubt because I have a fanfare of possibly 8 people) you can't really blame me for commenting on your unique preference in name choice as you should best know the consequence of picking such a colorful identifier. More power to you for choosing such an absurd name and not crying when people snicker at you or most likely, behind your back.

6 comments:

Fire-Penguin said...

It's a shame that I ruined your sisters day. I thought she was cute too.

Fire-Penguin said...

Oh, and I do appreciate that she was reading a book while working the polls, it must be dull sitting there all day watching people cast ballots.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha I can't believe you found this FP! hahaha sooo classic.

em said...

FP, If this really is the real FP, did you google your name to find out I wrote about you? I think it's awesome that you have such a great outlook on life that you go with the flow and you don't get offended easily. I'm just really curious how you choose your name and what does it mean to you? But thanks for reading my blog and sorry if I offended you, I just write about the strange things I see or hear.

Anonymous said...

Oh you totally didn't offend me! Any publicity is good publicity eh? I did google my name because I like to see what pops up. Every once in a while a new post gets added or I somehow impact someone's life.

As for my name: a friend gifted it to me. It's kind of a complicated story but I'm a huge proponent of body modification and I read an article that suggested changing your name as a type of body modification too.

I had a mutual friend that also shared the sames passions and read the same article as I. So I started calling her "disco panda" one day. She then gifted me the name Fire-Penguin and it stuck. I liked it so much that I told her I was going to change my name what it is today, and she laughed and encouraged me to do it.

I was named after my father originally, "Robert Andre Villegas II", but it really wasn't me. He worked at the Santa Barbara County courthouse and when I told him I was going to change my name first he laughed, and then he was stunned when I brought in the actual paperwork.

It legally got changed August 2nd, 2006. So for the past four years I'm Fire-Penguin D. Panda III. I recently have started adding the third to all my documents because I think it's fun to have a sort of regal name about me. I just need to become a knight, reverend, or doctor next.

jennitrixter said...

I happened to google my friend FPDP's name too and found this. Funny. Just thought I'd take the opp to vouch whole-hearted for Mr. Fire Penguin Disco Panda. For he has in many ways helped save my life, and show me how to ballance, shape and love myself. He's is of the most amazing and wonderful people I've ever met and anyone who is lucky enough to have the opp and takes the time to get to know him will see just how kind, generous, genuine, creative and sexy he really is. <3

Post a Comment